Global Postural Rehabilitation (GPR) is a method used by physiotherapy that changed the therapy paradigm of the 1980s. In this article, we explain what it is and what its principles are.
Known in some contexts by the acronym RPG, global postural rehabilitation is a method that is part of chinesiology and physiotherapy. It is a technique to address the pathologies of the neuromusculoskeletal system, which aims to diagnose and treat the disease.
Eisale to 1980, designed by Philippe Souchard Physiotherapist, France and then widespread throughout the world. This method has compiled a general general consensus, to the point of several associations on global postural rehabilitation, it was born over the years, in various regions and countries.
Unlike other forms of chinesiology and physical therapy, RPG searches for the source of pathology. It is not limited to being a palliative practice to treat the symptoms, but it aims to find the causes.
One of its main benefits is the promotion of changes and habits that can last over time to improve the patient’s life. It is not a technique that is limited to intervening in a specific phase of pain.
We will see, what are the principles of the functioning of the neuromusculoskeletal system on which the RPG is based. And we also discover those that are theoretically based for this practice.
Physiological principles of the nervous and musculoskeletal system
With the term nervous and muscular system, we refer to this apparatus made up of the joints, bones, muscles and nerve ribs, which together guide the movement and postures of the human body. The diseases that affect them are a source of disability.
Once it was known as a locomotor system, but the new name is more accurate. The network that interacts to perform the movement is complex and involves different systems. It does not involve dynamic movement, but also static and postural movement.
Global postural rehabilitation studies The nervous and musculoskeletal system and the possibility of causing disturbances, based on three principles:
- individuality: Each body is different from the other, even that it shares the structure. Each human being has a different body organization. For this reason, even the disorders are unique. Although pathologies are generally described, each body expresses them in its own way.
- Globality: Organism systems are associated with each other: that is, there are no systems for themselves. To function properly, the interaction between the tissues is essential. In case of bone alteration, for example, muscular disorders can also occur. In the case of nervous system problems, it can also be affected by the locomotor device, as in the case of fibromyalgia.
- causal: disorders of the body have a cause. Treatments should look for causes of activation. When the treatments that act only on the symptoms and the consequences are prescribed, in the future, they will recover.
Principles of global postural rehabilitation
Based on the principles of the physiology of the nervous and musculoskeletal systems, global postural rehabilitation proposes three concepts on which its theory and practice are based.
These concepts initiate the foundations for RPG treatments that are self-defined and individual. The objectives of the treatments are achieved by working on the interrelationship between static muscles and dynamic muscles. The three principles of RPG are:
- The muscles are organized in the form of chains.
- compressing the joints is due to gravity and all muscle action.
- breathing is associated with the nervous and musculoskeletal systems. The muscles
are arranged in chains
There are muscles that function in an isolated way within the human body. In fact, there are muscle chains that come together to make a posture or make a movement.
If muscle performance occurs, all current will be affected. For the treatment to be successful, you need to correct the muscle chain in general.
strings can be mostly dynamic or mostly static. Each of these features is treated differently because for any problem it’s stiffness, for others it’s lack of tone.
Joints undergo compression due to gravity or muscle action
The body weight generated by gravity has a certain impact on the joints. So even the muscles weigh them down, since they are serving as a point of support. One must move or hold the posture, the joints are subject to stress.
Many pathologies originate from overloading the joint. These structures usually dissolve or established spaces are compressed, giving rise to unnatural postures. In the long run, these positions become painful.
Breathing is associated with the nervous and musculoskeletal system.
in the case of nervous and musculoskeletal disorders, breathing is disturbed. This is due to pain and wrong postures that compact the rib cage. The stress caused by Myalgia, for example, modifies the breathing rate.
According to the RPG, it is important to intervene in the respiratory dynamics. Treatments pay special attention to breathing and the mammary muscle system, which is involved in inspiration and expiration.
Who can benefit from global postural rehabilitation?
There are many tradable American distinctions with the RPG, and the age group is wide, as it can benefit both children and adults. It is not a treatment that has contraindications.
It can intervene in postural anomalies that originate in the spine or in the arts. In this sense, it can correct Genu Valgum (Valgus Knee) and Genu Varum (Varo Knee). Herniated discs and scoliosis are also helpful.
Sports accidents are treated with RPG. Therefore, even joint stress disturbances in the case of specific sports can be treated with global postural rehabilitation; Among these, the elbow of the tennis player, golfer or shoulder pain.
Finally, we can mention neurological pathologies with similar motor repercussions, such as Parkinson’s disease or cerebral palsy. In these cases, the objective is to improve the life of the patient within the framework of a pathology treated with other disciplines.
It may interest you… Read more Sea Sea Destinite: Pain exercises
Performing light frequency stretching is essential to relieve discomfort caused by shoulder tenderness and gain strength and flexibility…
- Souchard, Philippe E., and Institute for Global Therapies. Global postural rehabilitation. Institute for Global Therapies, 1989.
- Souchard, Philippe E. RPG. PRINCIPLES OF GLOBAL POSTAL REDUCTION. Vol. 88. Editorial Pagotribo, 2005.
- Palacin, Montserrat. “Philippe Souchard’s La Global Postal Reedition (RPG): Pays of Rupura with Chennal Physiotherapy”. NATURA MEDICATRIX: MEDICAL MAJORS FOR STUDY AND DISSEMINATION ALTERNATIONS OF PHYSICIANS 45 (1996): 28-33.
- Well done, Marcel. Manuals of Postal Reeducation by median therapies. Vol. 87. Editorial Pagotribo, 2005.
- González S, Tello J, Silva P, Lüder C, Butelmann S, Franistitch R, et al. Quality of life in patients with sociodemographic factors of Disability Mota According to and Mental Health. Rev Chil Neuropsychiatrist. 2022;
- Gómez-Regueira N, ESCOBAR-VELATO G. Physiotherapeutic treatment of post-Parkinson’s disorders. Systematic review. Physiotherapy. 2022.
- Arendt, EA, Miller, LE, BLOCK, JE (2022). Management of early knee osteoarthritis should first approach mechanical joint overload. Orthopedic Reviews, 6(1), 5188. https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2022.5188